- Music – why bother? …and how to – Developed from notes for a workshop presentation given in Auckland, NZ. In part one; I question music, what exactly it is and the reasons for our treacherous pursuit of perfection in performance. Part two sets out a detailed practice methodology building on workshop experiences with Pacho Flores, Anthony Plog and Håken Hardenberger.
- Lasting Principals – Nick Walkley meets David Read MBE, a former member of the Welsh Guards Cornet section and a treasured figure of the British Brass Band scene.
- BTS day at RAM report, Trombonist Spring 2013 – Report on a British Trombone Society day at RAM.
- Owen Farr – Regent Hall solo recital review
- Royal Academy of Music, Brass ensemble concert review, Regent Hall
- ‘Towards Digital Ornament’ – Architectural thesis project, nominated for The Presidents Medals, 2009.
- Practising Practice – A pdf presentation about practice, goals and motivation.
- Practising Practice – Blog version of above, with web links to videos.
- Practice planner template – Use this form to set goals, work to targets and plan a detailed practice routine down to the minute. Re-evaluate progress every few months and adjust the routine as necessary. This method is useful beyond music practice, try it for other things!
- #Plogisms – A summary of some of the teachings of Anthony Plog. Useful life advice from a trumpeter’s perspective.
- The diaphragm delusion – A short article on the misuse of instruction in breathing techniques, specifically the dreaded phrase ‘use the diaphragm!’. What does it actually mean?!
- Arban – THE cornet method – Free PDF download of the most important tutor book written for the instrument.
- Daily Trumpet Warm up – A step by step warm up, based on a collection of various other common exercises. Use this as a basis to get things working to maximum possible potential.
- The British Cornet Sound – A collection of favourite YouTube videos from British Cornet players.